- 2 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, or 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 10 – ounce package frozen shelled edamame, (see Tip), thawed
- 1 10 – ounce package frozen corn, (about 2 cups), thawed
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Leaving the drippings in the pan, use tongs to transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels; let cool.
- Add oil to the pan. Add scallions (or onion), bell pepper, garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in edamame, corn, broth, vinegar and salt. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle shrimp on both sides with lemon pepper. Scatter the shrimp on top of the vegetables, cover and cook until the shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Crumble the bacon and sprinkle it on top.
- Tip: Edamame are found in the natural-foods freezer section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores, sold both in and out of the “pods.” For this recipe, you’ll need the shelled edamame. One 10-ounce bag contains about 2 cups of shelled beans.
Servings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 307 cal., 9 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 172 mg chol., 491 mg sodium, 26 g carb. (7 g fiber), 30 g pro.